2021-2022 JSGW and Association for Specialists in Group Work (ASGW) Research Committee Mentorship Program
The Association for Specialists in Group Work (ASGW), along with its flagship journal The Journal for Specialists in Group Work (JSGW) is seeking applications for its inaugural mentorship program for 2021-2022. This initiative is based on the ASGW’s goal to enhance group work scholarship, practice, and professional identity and increase JSGW manuscripts. The ASGW mentorship program seeks to facilitate a meaningful relationship between mentors and mentees, as well as provide ongoing professional development opportunities for doctoral students and new professionals who have an interest in group work scholarship and practice. The ASGW Research Committee will screen candidates and selected mentees will be paired with experienced scholars serving on the JSGW editorial board.
Under the tutelage of their mentors, mentees will actively engage in editorial reviews for JSGW. Mentees will have opportunities to engage in scholarly discourses with their respective mentors and with other participants in the program; they will also receive ongoing support and feedback from their mentors. In addition, mentees are expected to attend professional development initiatives, including an orientation before attending the mentorship program. The participant’s commitment to the program spans from September 1, 2021, to August 31, 2022.
Upon completion of the ASGW Mentorship Program, mentees will:
- Gain knowledge and skills related to conducting research on group work.
- Become familiar with the publication procedures of JSGW (which can be transferrable to other peer-reviewed journals).
- Be exposed to professional development opportunities offered by ASGW/JSGW.
- Have the opportunity to share their mentorship experience at the ASGW Conference.
- Receive a free one-year ASGW membership
We encourage individuals who meet the following criteria to apply:
- Doctoral students in counselor education or related fields involving group work as well as new professionals (graduated after May 2018) with interest in group work scholarship ;
- Hold current membership in ASGW (or become a member) at the start of the mentoring program;
- Demonstrate interest in group work and editorial leadership, as well as willingness to expand knowledge and skills around group work scholarship.
How to Apply
To apply, please fill out the form by 11:59 pm EST on Monday, August 16, 2021. Selection notifications will be made in early September 2021.
Please contact Dr. Yiying Xiong (email@example.com Chair, ASGW Research Committee) for any questions.